If the goal is to immerse children in authentic learning – the type that excites and inspires – you must deliver instruction that allows students to make real-world connections. Cross-curricular instruction allows you to open the door to meaningful multi-dimensional learning opportunities. To investigate a topic deeply, you must use more than one lens. It’s time to break out of the constraints of compartmentalized instruction and explore the advantages of integrating content to build deeper understanding.
What Is Cross-Curricular Instruction?
Cross-curricular instruction is teaching more than one academic discipline at a time. It is a conscious effort to make connections that bring meaning to learning by speaking, listening, reading, writing, solving problems, exploring math, making scientific discoveries, surveying history, and promoting cultural awareness. Instruction is often delivered with a theme—supporting goals that encourage children to think, reason, problem-solve, and reflect. These themes move away from isolated skill instruction toward connected real-world learning.
What Are the Advantages of Cross-Curricular Instruction?
- Connections – Students see subjects as connected rather than separated. They can draw on schema (their prior knowledge) and make meaningful connections. Children can tie what they know to what they are learning, and this deepens understanding.
- Quality Time on a Task – With topic integration, you use time more efficiently to accomplish learning tasks. You can link reading, writing, and math tasks by having students research charts in a text and write about their findings. You can link a social studies objective to a math objective by having students graph the information they collect. Students use reading strategies as they investigate science texts, and you can assess their speech and language goals as they share the information they gained with the class.
- Application – Students do not simply sit and listen as you deliver instruction. They apply the information they are learning in a variety of authentic hands-on learning opportunities.
- Engagement – Learners are engaged and have active roles—regardless of ability levels. Lessons are flexible, open-ended, and based on students’ needs so that everyone can take part and experience growth.
- Collaboration and Cooperation – Students explore topics as a whole class, in small skill groups, and on their own. They investigate real-world tasks and work together to research, problem solve, and explore topics. By collaborating with your peers, you can share your ideas with other educators and build upon our best practices too.
- Communication – Active exploration of a theme promotes dialog, and this develops speaking and listening skills. Students have the opportunity to share their strategies and learn from each other.
- Integration – Integrating a topic through multiple disciplines makes for more authentic learning. Students do not have to change gears just because the schedule dictates it is time to move from math to reading. When teachable moments appear, the learning can flow.
- Authentic Learning and Assessment – Cross-curricular instruction is more authentic learning (not isolated and segmented)—more like real-world problem solving. You can assess students as you interact and observe them while they show what they know. You will observe growth over time in a variety of ways.
Carson Dellosa is Here to Help!
As thought leaders in education, Carson Dellosa strives to provide you with quality materials that support exemplary teaching and enhance student learning. Here are a few products that can help with planning and implementation of cross-curricular instruction:
Interactive notebooks personalize learning with fun practice in effective note-taking strategies. Available for grades K–8 in Math, Science, Language Arts, Word Study, and Seasonal, our Interactives Notebooks enable students to easily assess which areas they have mastered and which areas they need a little more practice. Instead of just scribbling notes on a blank page, students are prompted to draw, color, and style their notes as they see fit—empowering their own educational development.
Created for a wide variety of topics across all subjects, our selection of activity books keep kids engaged and entertained with exciting and educational activities. From handwriting and sight words to math and alphabet skills, these products are great for on-the-go learning or as an in-between activity to keep students' skills sharp while in or out of the classroom.
Supplement your students’ classroom or homeschool curriculum with our wide variety of workbooks. From math and science to language arts and reading comprehension, our broad selection of workbooks covers most subjects and grade levels from the earliest learners to high schoolers to meet various learning needs all school year long and beyond. That’s right—we’ve also got plenty of summer workbooks that are packed with fun activities to help students brush up on their skills to prepare for the year ahead and most importantly, future school success.
The perfect solution for teachers who need classroom materials instantly, ready-to-print teacher supplies make it easy for you to download and use resources immediately! Get instant access to a wide variety of printable classroom activities by subject, month, holidays, and more while easily supplementing your students’ classroom or homeschool curriculum.
Linking Learning and Inspiring Learners
Cross-curricular instruction is a way to provide relevant and engaging curriculum to students. It provides an active and creative format through which students think, reason, apply, and deepen their understanding. Connecting information helps to link learning and make information clearer to students—just like learning in life. If you want to prepare your children to be college- and career-ready, you must provide the type of authentic instruction that unites lifelong learning and learners.